EVICTION III: The Hive

The sinister heart of custom campaign discussion.
SPILL
New Flesh

EVICTION III: The Hive

Post by SPILL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 pm

At last! The journey continues with the third level to Eviction - my add-on for Blood. In The Hive you will explore the city's underground water treatment facility with a secret passage to an archaeological site. Exploring this insect infested facility is crucial to finding key items that will help you progress. Stuck at a gas leak? Look for the gas mask! Deep within the aquifer lies an Ancient Evil ally to the Cabal. Collect all the Relics to learn its weakness. Destroy it to enter one of the last remaining Cabal Fortresses!

TRAILER:

***WALKTHROUGH (SPOILERS)***

DOWNLOAD BELOW
Attachments
EVICTION.zip
(489.93 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

Gunz
Still Kicking

Re: EVICTION III: The Hive

Post by Gunz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:09 am

Spill good job man :)

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:32 pm

I've no doubt this will be a treat. I simply need to sort out an audio problem before playing it, since I don't want my experience impaired.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

SPILL
New Flesh

Post by SPILL » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:04 pm

I'm going to go ahead and archive any "Making of" Eviction artifacts here in this thread. Some of these videos contain early versions of the maps. It is neat to see the little changes before release.

The first reveal trailer:

A few seconds of early gameplay:

The first release of Eviction before any updates:

Level 2 reveal:

A few seconds of early level 2 gameplay:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/DB1sX1Ut9eo[/youtube]

Early Level 3 reveal:

Brief preview of level 3 gameplay:

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Time to devour this tasty offering at last.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm

The latest map is some of the best level design I've ever seen in in FPS game. The overall product feels feels like a culmination of themes from Spare Parts, Monster Bait, Breeding Grounds, Catacombs, The Great Temple, Aqueducts, Bowels of the Earth and Lair of Shial, while representing them better than the originals in just a single map.

Individually the three Eviction maps are definitely my favorite maps for Blood. They stick to what made the original maps so great while adding much more. The great amount of detail that goes into them is obviously time-consuming, but let's hope this eventually gets extended into a complete episode.

MetHy
New Flesh

Post by MetHy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:31 am

I just played all 3 maps and it was really fun. Some cool ideas like the rotating crate puzzle, and great use of ROR, especially the outdoor ones, as few people think of using ROR outdoor, I suppose it's a habit of the bad framerate it'd give under DOS.
I suppose the building rooftop with the vents accross the start of the 2nd level blocked because of ROR visual glitches (as in, it's not possible to stand on that rooftop and see the ROR portal due to the architecture in the building below)? That rooftop would be totally reachable otherwise and meeting an unexpected invisible wall only to take 20+ fall dmg is never fun.

I played each map pitchfork start on well done and health was a bit tight at times especially in level 2. I enjoyed level 2 the least mostly because the layout with all the keys and locked doors on all sides can be a bit confusing; for instance I don't think many people would remember that the exit of the level is located at the start and you have to backtrack for it; especially considering the switch locked with the moon key is "hidden" upstairs. Furthermore, it feels like the exit of the level should be located at the mall's entrance, which is an optional dead end: when you see it locked with enemies/supplies behind the doors you think it's the way to go, and when you finally end up unlocking it it feels like one is making progress.

I don't mind using pick ups and props as progression mechanisms outside of for their intended use as long as it's explicit (like you did); but seeing Boots of Jumping and thinking "sweet! I love these!" only to find out they're decorative sprite was a disappointment.

SPILL
New Flesh

Post by SPILL » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Lol yeah it is unlikely I will use regular jumping boots. I thought I painted them red? Or maybe that's in new unreleased. version. The Hive has areas that will tempt the player to jump to even though they are blocked off set pieces (the waterfalls). Providing the jumping boots can limit the level design freedom. If you use them you really have to design around them. But who knows? Maybe I will place them in a later level.

Yeah the mall ROR was blocking due to a small DOS HOM effect. However, that has since been fixed in NBLOOD so the level was updated for the next release, whenever that may be... I guess I will go ahead and say it here that Eviction will be NBLOOD only to take advantage of extended limits and modern types.

Also I've already changed the pathing in the Mall level. It still has the same ending but I subtracted a key. So you will be happy to see the next release.

Soben
Still Kicking

Post by Soben » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:37 am

I played levels 1, 2 and 3 and they were such gorgeous levels! So much detail and fun to play :)

I tried to get level 4 to work with no luck yet (user error, first time trying to make custom episodes run, maybe cause im using Nblood?) but I definitely want to get it working and see that too.

I hope you make more!

:scarab: