Blood Voxel Pack

Modifying Blood's art for creative purposes.
fgsfds
New Flesh

Blood Voxel Pack

Post by fgsfds » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:43 pm

This pack provides voxel replacements for sprites in Blood.
It is compatible with the BuildGDX and NBlood ports.

To install, drop voxels.zip archive into "autoload" directory.

https://m210.duke4.net/index.php/downlo ... /55-voxels

Below is just a small fraction of new voxels. Total count is way past 100.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by fgsfds on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Re: Blood Voxel Pack

Post by Dimebog » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 pm

They look exactly like the original sprites from a distance - just excellent work. Highly recommended.

The voxels really give the game more of a "full 3D" look that would have been so good to have back in 1997 when BLOOD had to compete with games like Quake. It's good to have things like this today. Along with the Transfusion skyboxes, this voxel pack in particular is all of the graphical enhancement I need.

Thank you for the effort, I am looking forward to the next version along the line.

Fil
The Mad Scientist

Post by Fil » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm

Beautiful work!

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 am

This really enriches my Blood experience, every single new voxel model looking like it should have been in the game to begin with. Blood would have hit the sweet spot in 1997 if it looked like this - 3D props while still retaining 2D sprite-based enemies/weapons rather than the low poly examples of Quake and other early 3D shooters which didn't age well.

fgsfds
New Flesh

Post by fgsfds » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Version 0.91 is out with a bunch of new stuff.
https://m210.duke4.net/index.php/downlo ... /55-voxels

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:18 am

The new tommy gun voxel is great and finally makes it not appear huge compared to the other weapons. In my opinion it would be even better if it had the lighter colors of the original. I know the colors are based on the sprite, but the darkness of the barrel and the shade of brown on the stock make it look inconsistent with the other weapon voxels. Looking at the shotgun voxel, which appears to be the only other one colored differently from its 2D counterpart.
ss+(2019-09-26+at+08.54.30).jpg
ss+(2019-09-26+at+08.54.30).jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
Those new Jacob's ladders. Just wow.
Base Profile Screenshot 2019.09.26 - 21.00.29.82.png
Base Profile Screenshot 2019.09.26 - 21.00.29.82.png (752.62 KiB) Viewed 8344 times

fgsfds
New Flesh

Post by fgsfds » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Well, it also looks closer to the HUD sprite, which is almost black, so I think the sprite's/voxel's colors are ok.

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:01 pm

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:11 am

Hey thx for this!
Amazing work.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:32 pm

I intend to one day give this the review it deserves. Having looked at it fairly briefly, though, there seem to be huge discrepancies with regards to the positioning of some of the new voxels when they are flipped upside down relative to the position of their sprite equivalents.

Is this a known issue, or do you have some kind of workaround for it?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:58 am

Version 0.95?

Please show me pictures because I do not know such issue. And please tell me which port you used.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:48 pm

Having investigated a little bit further, I have found what causes this.

I am testing this in the latest NBlood release as of, well, now. This is version 0.95 of the voxel pack. This issue appears both with Polymost and Classic renderer (I'm unsure as to whether that would play a role or be of interest).

Observe:
sprites.png
sprites.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
voxels.png
voxels.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
These are both screenshots of the same map. The only difference I have made between the screenshots is that I've toggled the voxel pack on.

As a correction to what I said above, I think that the voxel pack correctly replicates sprite positioning. What seems to create the problem we see here, and what I think the voxel pack has some difficulty with are sprite offsets.

In the screenshots above, both sprites which are upside down have been nudged not in their height, but with their offsets to make them level. It appears that the z-position of the sprites are not correctly replicated when offsets are applied.

I have not tested this exhaustively as yet, but I think even nudging sprites left and right as opposed to up or down causes this issue.

I'm attaching the map in case you'd like to use it as reference.
Attachments
COOL.zip
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 211 times
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:20 am

Hmmm...

So I tested BVP0.95 with NBlood (the latest December 2021 build) and it works totally fine, see E1M8. And tell me if it also looks like it. I cannot figure out what's going on in your map.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:03 pm

Thanks for checking.

So those will look fine. From my brief investigations, it looks like the voxels are good at doing what they are supposed to do and correctly replicating the position of sprites based on where they are placed in the map and their respective heights.

What is not being replicated is that sprites in BLOOD are able to have an offset. It is a feature fairly rarely utilised, but it does have some fairly useful and niche applications in maps.

Offsets are set by holding Ctrl and using arrow keys.

It appears based on my investigation that the voxel pack has difficulty interpreting the sprite offset property. This is something that should be addressed as, while rare - especially in retail, it is a valuable tool that can be used to bring flavour to maps, and would need to be implemented to accurately replicate certain usermaps.