Ion Fury, the Modern Build Game by Voidpoint

Off-topic discussion about anything in the universe and beyond which isn't Blood.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Ion Fury, the Modern Build Game by Voidpoint

Post by Dimebog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Hey, a new Build game came out today. When was the last time you heard that? It's called Ion Fury and it's out on Windows, MacOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch which is quite impressive. I tried to stay away from any spoilers and will reserve my opinion until I have played it, but it has already been lauded as one of the best, if not the best Build game.

Grab it on GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/ion_fury
or Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Fury/

I heard traditional big-boxed physical copies should be available as well which is what I will be looking for myself if it hits the retailers around here.

Has anyone played this yet? What are your impressions?

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Re: Ion Fury, the Modern Build Game by Voidpoint

Post by Daedalus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Best Build game, they say? Hah!

Regardless, I'm excited to try it out when I get some time to throw at it. It'll definitely be interesting.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Where can I find the shareware?

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Excellent question.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.

HenitoKisou
Still Kicking

Post by HenitoKisou » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 am

It plays and feels like mix of Shadow Warrior with F.E.A.R. levels are huge with tons of secrets but music is the best part. Blood is still better game but Ion Fury is decent enough.

Umnir
Still Kicking

Post by Umnir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:31 pm

I saw LGR’s vid on it and I was sold. The level design looks awesome and the music sounds awesome.
I have to buy it when I got time to test it.

Umnir
Still Kicking

Post by Umnir » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:43 am

So what’s up with the cencorship thing now? I almost got excited about this game...

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Well, there's quite a lot of speculation and rumour going around, but I'll tell you what I've heard that most people seem to agree with or be reporting on.

So Ion Maiden (Fury) was released and received almost universal acclaim. Build fans were extremely pleased, with some even claiming it's the best Build game ever. The game secured a really good amount of sales considering what it is.

A forum which seems to be comprised of "social justice warriors" who pretend to like video games called Resetera caught wind of the fact that the game has one or two extremely mild gay jokes, and some screenshots from the developer Discord for the game of our very Daedolon and TerminX speaking about their thoughts on some "social justice" issues were spread around. Their comments were fairly reasonable and objective, but they were received with... fury by Resetera's crew.

Games "journalists" caught onto this, and they prefer to talk about politics and make clickbait outrage articles rather than discuss video games, so Ion Maiden's "anti social justice stance" took the web by storm.

Due to what was probably publisher pressure from 3D Realms, the Ion Maiden development team issued an apology for what they said, they will be sent to sensitivity training, $10,000 from the game's revenue will be spent on some sort of alternative sexuality promotional group, and the game will soon be patched to remove the content that was deemed offensive.

When this news spread, the shit really hit the fan and there was a massive backlash from actual players of the game. They felt betrayed in that the game was being changed after they'd made the purchase. Censorship is being cited as a large reason for securing refunds, and people are promoting piracy to get the game in its original state, as intended by the creators. Reviews are deliberately being made to tank the product, and at least on Steam, Ion Maiden has seen a substantial drop in its position in popularity and in its review score.

Imagine the developers apologising for what makes Duke Nukem Duke Nukem, or Shadow Warrior Shadow Warrior, and that's what we have here. Fans feel lied to and are sick of the "pandering", and I think that for the few hard leftists who actually choose their games based on politics, this sort of thing doesn't really make them reconsider buying the game. It's been a loss on every front for Voidpoint and 3DRealms.

Whatever the outcome, this is really a shame, because what should've been a celebration of the Build Engine and a really loving and polished product has been reduced to political turmoil, and it remains to be seen what sort of legacy, if any, will remain after the dust has settled.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:15 pm

I visited the supposed gaming forum Resetera to see what it's all about, and I have to admit, I've literally never seen more retards in one place.

At first I thought that it was purely political activism, but that's probably only 10% of it - the rest is pure retardation of the brain displayed by a bandwagon of the morally impoverished idiots living in a bubble, who would like nothing better than to feel morally superior to everyone else. It's best to no longer pay any mind to this incident or similar incidents that will surely occur in the future.

As for the devs, the lesson to be learned is probably that publishers are a thing of the past, and going forward, everyone should self-publish. Same goes for the music and gaming industries. Otherwise it is going to become increasingly difficult not to be forced into political activist shitshows like this one, along with other problems that come with working with a publisher nowdays.

By the way, I tried the game on my friends' computer since mine doesn't run it quite smoothly and from what I can tell, the game is literally going to be a classic. It's exactly what I hoped it would be and more, pushing the limits of the Build engine and showing what it can do in 2019.

I will do a full review once I've had a chance to finish it.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Not that I actually cared if they changed/removed some sprites, this statement makes me proud and hopeful:

voidpointstatement.png
voidpointstatement.png (91.73 KiB) Viewed 7523 times

Thank you, Voidpoint and 3D Realms, for standing up for yourselves and handling this with strength and maturity.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:51 pm

They actually reacted to public pressure. Interesting.

Umnir
Still Kicking

Post by Umnir » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:09 am

They only ”stood up for themselves” because of the shitstorm they caused for themselves and the potential financial catastrophy.

Go woke go broke.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:12 am

They caused a shitstorm for doing what their PR company told them to do, and then 3DR forced them to do, if the information I was able to find is correct. The outcome was in fact predicted by the devs who never actually wanted to issue any apologies, but have had their hand forced on the matter.

The part that nobody did predict (unless their PR company was in fact fucking genius) is that the sales of the game quadrupled during the controversy, so perhaps don't echo slogans with made up words, since that only perpetuates the pathetic political game that everyone seems to be so eager to dive into headlong.

I decided to side with the devs since nobody else seems to be willing to, and their each action or inaction will be viewed as a political move, and the wrong one. And also because Jarmo is now apparently a woke transphobe. Everyone should take a very firm grip on reality soon or we are going to lose it completely.

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 pm

A bit late to the party.
But here's my tuppence:
The Church of Woke arose from gamergate, so of course it 's gonna circle back to its roots once it infects everything else (including Dr Who) .
Dixit Lizzieborden