Does anyone remember "The City of the Damned: Apocalypse" for GZDoom?

Worship, strategy, screamshots, community discussion, fan art, and everything else.
Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Does anyone remember "The City of the Damned: Apocalypse" for GZDoom?

Post by Dead Reckoner » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:10 pm

TCOTD is a large, advanced single-map total conversion released for GZDoom in 2007 that uses Blood's resources to create a survival horror environment. Back then it just seemed like another good idea with poor execution--atmosphere was great but the gameplay was clunky, and this kept me from finishing it in 2007 when I first gave it a try. It has since gotten some updates and polish, and I finally decided to finish the map from beginning to end, even enjoying it.

The lighting is probably the greatest visual strength of the map:

Ammo is tight early in the level with the player having little but the pitchfork and an ineffective revolver. The pitchfork features an alt-fire that throws it for high damage, allowing the player to pick it back up. Essential move for the beginning.

Finally, some firepower:

The black hellhound originally from the abandoned Hellstorm TC:

The player can interact with journals scattered around the map:

Like in Silent Hill, a siren occasionally sounds, warning the player to hide in one of the map's several moon key shelters:

TCOTD is worth checking out if you didn't already or overlooked it in the past. Definitely lacking in gameplay, as to be expected with another adaptation of Blood in the Doom engine (this time with survival horror elements layered on top.) What makes this more interesting is that it's a unique adventure rather than another half-baked recreation attempt of Blood's base maps, and it's packed with atmosphere and exploration. It also offers a small taste of what Blood could have felt like in its original darker and grittier Horror 3D conception instead of the more light-hearted collection of horror parodies we know and love. The cultists even have deeper voices!

Download is here: https://realm667.com/index.php/en/proje ... apocalypse

Last edited by Dead Reckoner on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blood of Nightmares
Still Kicking

Re: Does anyone remember "The City of the Damned: Apocalypse" for GZDoom?

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:17 pm

I have to say that this mod is incredibly bad in so many levels and many reasons wrong with it.

1. It uses ZBlood of course instead of resources straight from the actual game itself.

2. The whole "Moonshelter" concept ruins the game especially it tried to cash in the whole concept from the Silent Hill movie despite none of that was in the actual Silent Hill games at all.

3. Despite the game taking place in the 1930s, it's Final Boss however is a recolored Cyberdemon that is out of place during that time period although I heard that later versions fixed that by replacing with a green Tchernobog but people use earlier versions of the mod anyways though.

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Yeah some of the ripped textures look really washed out. The ZBlood revolver doesn't fit with the rest of the weapons and looks off with the crooked barrel.

The moonshelter event would be better if it only triggered after set actions like picking up certain keys. It just becomes an annoying interruption to gameplay when it always happens after a set amount of time. End boss is, predictably, Tchernobog. I didn't see the cyberdemon stand-in since I didn't get that far in the earlier versions.

Blood of Nightmares
Still Kicking

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Dead Reckoner wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:33 pm Yeah some of the ripped textures look really washed out. The ZBlood revolver doesn't fit with the rest of the weapons and looks off with the crooked barrel.

The moonshelter event would be better if it only triggered after set actions like picking up certain keys. It just becomes an annoying interruption to gameplay when it always happens after a set amount of time. End boss is, predictably, Tchernobog. I didn't see the cyberdemon stand-in since I didn't get that far in the earlier versions.
So you've played the recent version while in earlier versions, Tammuz was originally a green cyberdemon.

Dude27th
New Flesh

Post by Dude27th » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:16 am

I really liked this mod when I played it back in 2015 !
But yes the revolver was very lacking and washed out.
And the green Cyberdemon was a dissapointment of how bad it clashed with the mostly Blood style of the mod.