Help for a newbie

Discussion and queries about building worlds in Blood.
Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Help for a newbie

Post by Lizzieborden » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 pm

I know there is a ton of info out there.
But I was hoping that any creators out there might give me a tip on the best way to start creating maps.
What software? guides? vlogs?
Imagine you are dying. You have only enough breath to mutter a single sentence for your daughter or son about how to get into mapping.
What would that sentence be?
Dixit Lizzieborden

patho
Still Kicking

Re: Help for a newbie

Post by patho » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:30 am

You need XMapedit, it's a windows port of the original editor.
http://cruo.bloodgame.ru/xmapedit/

The XMapedit Manual covers all questions. It will teach you step by step how to make your own map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-c9rM ... GYXVY/view

You have only enough breath to mutter a single sentence for your daughter or son about how to get into mapping.
What would that sentence be?
XMapedit & XMapedit Manual
download my singleplayer blood maps The Angels' Melancholia and Pestilence

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm

Hey, thanks !
I want to at least try a map. I don't expect much.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:55 pm

Moved the topic to the appropriate section of the board.

Lizzie - a word of caution concerning XMapedit included above. While I don't think you're anywhere near being at risk, note that this editor is intended to support ports and not DOS Blood due to the lifting of limits. This means that if you were to go completely crazy with design, which I'd advise against at this stage, your maps would effectively not be compatible with original Blood. It is worth keeping in mind.

I also cannot honour your request for a single sentence. That is simply not my style, as I'm sure most know about here. You are effectively asking me to condense hundreds of hours of information into one sentence. I am happy to lend my expertise when or if you decide to hop into this.

The problem, which I hope to tackle one day, is that all of these manuals I've seen around are strictly technical and convey functionality rather than principle. They do not "teach", but instead give you a mechanical list of functions. That is certainly useful, but it is not sufficient to engage people, and it can very easily result in bad designs or demotivated mappers.

My sentence to you, thus, is a bit of common sense that you'll thank me for later:
Always keep one or more backups of your map!

This of course only applies if you're making a map you care about and are not simply tinkering.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:14 pm

all of these manuals I've seen around are strictly technical and convey functionality rather than principle. They do not "teach", but instead give you a mechanical list of functions. T
Map design is hard enough at the conceptual level (balance, atmosphere etc)....And apparently even more demanding on the technical level which I already know I will suck at (I am only good in languages, conversation and dancing) . But I will tinker a bit just for fun. Just to see what is involved.
Hail Mary, full of Grace
Dixit Lizzieborden

Gunz
Still Kicking

Post by Gunz » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:45 pm

Lizzieborden wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:14 pm
all of these manuals I've seen around are strictly technical and convey functionality rather than principle. They do not "teach", but instead give you a mechanical list of functions. T
Map design is hard enough at the conceptual level (balance, atmosphere etc)....And apparently even more demanding on the technical level which I already know I will suck at (I am only good in languages, conversation and dancing) . But I will tinker a bit just for fun. Just to see what is involved.
Hail Mary, full of Grace
Mapedit.exe is a program that uses that blood.exe to make user content for the game. Build engine is very complex, and it will take some time to figure out the real engine. Drawing lines here and there is fun, making a box ( A ROOM) , is neat but when the programming gets complex, and the data does not compute, and compile errors exist, that when all the hell is created. Single player maps are a nail in the coffin. :scarab:

Enjoy but keep it simple. :) :shock:

PS : Make sure you put the Arrow (Inside the box you drew) and save the map inside the starting point . Roflmao.

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:40 pm

Hey Thx Mr. G.
Waaaaay too busy for the next 2 to 3 months. But when things slow down, I'll give it a shot.
Merci pour tout!
Dixit Lizzieborden