Most annoying Blood enemies

Worship, strategy, screamshots, community discussion, fan art, and everything else.
Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Most annoying Blood enemies

Post by Lizzieborden » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:59 pm

As I see Natlalie delve ever deeper into blood, we agreed that the most bloody annoying enemies in Blood are the rats and the severed hands.
For me, they are as annoying as the face huggers in Duke, the mosquitoes in Redneck, the blob thingies in quake.
They all have in common initially minimal but quickly cumulative damage, like a pest that requires far more energy than we feel they deserve.
So, yest, they are bloody annoying.
What are your thoughts on annoying Blood enemies?
Dixit Lizzieborden

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Re: Most annoying Blood enemies

Post by Dead Reckoner » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:05 pm

I find spiders much more annoying than rats. Once there's a shotgun available, rats are easily killed with the primary fire thanks to Blood's vertical autoaim, which for some reason doesn't work on spiders, making them much harder to hit. One of the features I like in BloodGDX is how it corrects that bug.

Swarm of rats? TNT solves that problem, but with a swarm of spiders, the explosion tends to scatter them around the room without killing them, possibly relating to their low mass and jumping ability.

Choking hands were hands down the worst in v1.00 when it was impossible to get them off and it meant game over once they grab hold.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:37 pm

Quite a few of Blood's monsters can be annoying at times. Sometimes gargoyles can be incredibly stubborn about actually engaging to attack you as opposed to flying about wildly. Mother spiders, assuming you want to kill and not ignore them, make me groan when they fall into water. The red spider poison can sometimes be quite a nuisance as well. Speaking as a mapper, I find the acolytes quite annoying as they're really good at just destroying the environment. Sometimes that can be a desirable function, but not so much when they're blowing up all your map's detail before the player gets to even see it.

Choking hands on Extra Crispy in many cases can be a death sentence, which I personally find to be more of a source of despair than irritation. On my standard DOSbox setup, they will kill you if you don't hit the use key within the first half second that they attach. As a result of learned behaviour due to many runs being ruined by choking hands, I fit the stereotype of the housewife jumping on the table when a mouse enters the room if I hear a severed hand and don't know where it is.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:08 pm

Choking hands on Extra Crispy in many cases can be a death sentence,
Extra cripsy was designed by a very evil person
Dixit Lizzieborden