blood cousin

Off-topic discussion about anything in the universe and beyond which isn't Blood.
Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

blood cousin

Post by Lizzieborden » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:44 pm

I was curious and have been thinking about this on of off for a while:
Which game of all the ones out there, regardless of year (etc), comes closest to being Blood-like?
Obessessive compulsive minds want to know.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Re: blood cousin

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:36 pm

I can't contribute too meaningfully on this one. I can't really say I've encountered a game which comes even close to Blood's feel and gameplay. Obvious comparisons can be drawn from other Build Engine titles. Duke Nukem feels positively sluggish in comparison, with Shadow Warrior's movement being a bit closer to Blood's, but still falling short.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm

Daedalus wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:36 pm I can't contribute too meaningfully on this one. I can't really say I've encountered a game which comes even close to Blood's feel and gameplay. Obvious comparisons can be drawn from other Build Engine titles. Duke Nukem feels positively sluggish in comparison, with Shadow Warrior's movement being a bit closer to Blood's, but still falling short.
It's a tough one. Still can't think of any, like you. But I have not played that many retrogames yet.
Agreed : the only one that vaguely comes close is SW.. But SW is still unworthy of spit-shining calebs boots.
And as to recent games, it is a different universe altogether. I like em (esp survival horror) , its just a different universe
Dixit Lizzieborden

patho
Still Kicking

Post by patho » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:00 am

Cultic is currently in development. It's a boomer shooter heavily inspired by Blood.
There is a demo on Steam.

download my singleplayer blood maps The Angels' Melancholia and Pestilence

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:10 pm

Patho..THANKS for this !!!
Will check it out when my shift is over.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Status Cruo
Still Kicking

Post by Status Cruo » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:23 am

I think Blood inherited a bunch of stuff from ROTT and made it even better. The gore, fire and explosions, texture work and theme, even down to the color palette. Worth checking out.