Blood 3D Sound in a Port?

Worship, strategy, screamshots, community discussion, fan art, and everything else.
Corvin
Still Kicking

Blood 3D Sound in a Port?

Post by Corvin » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:19 am

Does anyone know which port of Blood supports the Q-studios/3D sound that the original game has?

I just haven't been able to tell by reading about all the ports.
Was also wondering if anyone plans to add it (if not already)?

Thanks.

Corvin
Still Kicking

Re: Blood 3D Sound in a Port?

Post by Corvin » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 pm

BUILDGDX I think is the one most people have recommended to me.
I'm just wondering if they reach that milestone or not of 3D sound from the original game?
Any ideas? :)

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:59 pm

What do you mean by '3D sound'?
My understanding of this as presented by Blood is that it refers to the fact that sounds exist in "3D space" within in the game, so for instance a napalm launcher fireball will have a sound based on not only its x and y coordinates in the world (as pretty much all old shooters do), but that height is also a factor in it. All of Blood's sounds (those which have the player as their source being an exception, of course) have an associated height, hence the sound existing in three dimensions. I know that there's also a kind of doppler-effect that Blood uses, though I'm not sure if any port replicates that behaviour precisely.
Anyway, if what I'm referring to matches your understanding, then GDX and NBlood both replicate that behaviour.
Not a port, obviously, but I know that Fresh Supply doesn't replicate sound generators in the game correctly, but I would need to check again if there is a height attribute applied to its audio. There probably is, but with FS one never knows.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Corvin
Still Kicking

Post by Corvin » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:29 pm

Hmmm, I defiantly remember there's a spatial effect in Bloods sound engine.
I even remember using the Q-Studios sound generator program in the alpha download. :)
Apparently they devised a way to have "3d" sound with it and incorporated their findings into blood.

Maybe the term was surround sound. I believe this was all for the 2 speaker setup. I do remember comparing the sound in games like DN3D and Blood. I forget everything else though. :(

Corvin
Still Kicking

Post by Corvin » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:42 am

I looked quickly at the alpha archive and their tool is in the \SND folder, with text explaining the tool and what not.
I figured they used it to determine values or parameters of some sort to apply to their code. Heh.

Thanks BTW for looking into this. :)

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:55 pm

Was this original 3D sound system much different from the one that ended up being in retail Blood? If memory serves right, 3D sound was advertised as a feature on release.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:58 pm

Blood's box art specifically advertises its "3D Sound".
3d.JPG
3d.JPG (3 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.

Corvin
Still Kicking

Post by Corvin » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:27 am

The text with the 3d snd generator/positional tool says its best for headphone use, but will work with quality speakers. You have to be equal distance from each of the 2 speakers for best effect.

The final time I played Blood was for 3 months straight/every day. I remember the sound did make a difference in comparison to a game with out the 3d sound. I was pleased that Blood sounded so good. :)

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:49 am

Blood has always sounded amazing. They did a really good job with its audio. I was hooked from the very first 'Pestis'.

Corvin
Still Kicking

Post by Corvin » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:20 am

I don't know what they did besides the 3D Sound.
It said they used the Apogee Sound System and applied there code over it.
and If I remember all the sounds where recorded low quality, yet sound very good through the sound engine.

I e-mailed Matt S. one time and he said the higher quality wasn't fully working yet at release. I'd have to go back and see what I noted though.

EDIT:
8-bit sounds are in blood at three different popular rates. maybe 44,1 is not used.
Saved as RAW and the SFX file NEEDS the correct flags for the sounds to work.

8-bit unsigned PCM mono at 11025 sample rate
or
8-bit signed PCM mono at 22050
or
8-bit unsigned PCM mono 44100

16-bit didn't seem to work well/correctly.