Facing Worlds

Got a map to show off or talk about?
SPILL
New Flesh

Facing Worlds

Post by SPILL » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:46 am

Hello Bloodites! This map is a recreation of Facing Worlds from Unreal Tournament. With the birth of new Blood ports and an official remaster, I would like to gift this map to the multiplayer community. I Just finally got to playtest it and boy was this fun! I used jumping boots to simulate low gravity which made for some fun and dynamic battles. Enjoy and stayed tuned for updates on my custom add-on Eviction!

SSFACE.zip
(37.27 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Last edited by SPILL on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bloatoid
New Flesh

Re: Facing Worlds

Post by Bloatoid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:37 am

Looking good! I like the background w/moving sprites.

SPILL
New Flesh

Post by SPILL » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 am

Bloatoid wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:37 am Looking good! I like the background w/moving sprites.
Thanks to your inspiration! I made a minor fix in the map re-uploaded the attachment. Make sure you get the latest version!

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:40 am

This is an excellent rendition of a classic UT map, you did an amazing job. Using boots to mimic low gravity is a cool idea and I can't wait to try it against other players.

I wonder if using the boots actually makes you an easier target due to limited air control? Should make for some interesting dynamics.

Congrats on the map - it is a worthy contribution! Hope to see more in the future.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Spill, it feels like we've yet to have properly met somehow, but I wanted to thank you for an excellent pioneering post - it's exactly right in the spirit of how I'd things to be going forward with regards to usermaps.

I'm extremely busy with work currently, but I'll definitely check this out and comment on it a little later.

It's a bold concept and one of about five or so total maps ever made specifically for capture the flag mode! :mrgreen:
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

SPILL
New Flesh

Post by SPILL » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:15 am

Thank you Deadalus. I’m glad there is proper home for Blood usermaps now. I will definitely be bringing you some more

Gunz
Still Kicking

Post by Gunz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:07 pm

We will have to test it out, let me jr and mal know when dood. :)

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Bloodbath exclusivity is its own animal, and follows a path quite different from the beloved Blood single player. Regardless of that, I simply had to look into this bold venture to see what it was all about. It takes some, shall we say, guts to take something a little more modern and based in science fiction and to convert that to Blood.

It certainly is a daring venture.

However, this particular mapper, SPILL, is an adept - one of the extremely few beings in the mortal universe capable of tackling the monumental task. If he was not capable of doing it justice, it would certainly be incredibly challenging if not outright impossible to accomplish.

I speak now from a creator's perspective, as I have tasted this particular fruit, but not in the Bloodbathing way which was intended, that is to say that I walked the halls, or rather, asteroid, and took a look into all that had been wrought, but not with anything in particular to kill, for there is nothing to fight when playing this particular piece in its unintended format.

As ever when it comes to SPILL, the map is visually stunning, and the amount of detail feels spot on for what it intends to convey. The lighting and architecture is just right for what the map sets out to do, and there's no chance of getting lost or being in a spot without risk of action. The map is surprisingly moody for being quite simple at its heart, and many fun possibilities of battle can be seen here.

Does it evoke the same feeling Unreal Tournament's example does? Of course not. Not only is Build not built for that, but both games are very different, but one cannot help but smile at seeing this strange mirror-image of what exists in that universe. Visually, it's a great and faithful adaptation, but try as it might, the feeling of Unreal Tournament's Facing Worlds will forever be elusive.

It can be forgiven, also, for forgoing much of what makes Bloodbath great in the hunt for authenticity. There are no secret, winding passageways, no traps and few opportunities for the cunning ambushes which immortalize the Bloodbath experience, but instead we have the open expanses which define Facing Worlds. This might be a little uncomfortable for some Bloodbath players, but it's certainly a somewhat fresh experience and it'll challenge those who have gotten a little overly comfortable with close quarters!

A clever abundance of the jumping boots provide a few strategic opportunities, and help simulate the low gravity experience which Unreal Tournament's Facing Worlds provides.

A small error can be found with sudden, violent tilting if one approaches the edges of the platforms that face towards the front of the spires, which is the result of sprite constructions being above very sloped surfaces - an unfortunate misbehaviour in Blood's intelligence.

In closing, this is easily as authentic a rendition one could reasonably expect of Unreal Tournament's Facing Worlds in Blood. It's quirky, bold and likely presents many nice Bloodbath opportunities, and it is one of the very few maps made for Capture the Flag mode in Blood.

To rate it in terms of Blood feels somewhat wrongheaded given its intent, so I'll refrain from giving a score measured against traditional Bloodbath experiences. I think that if greatness were the objective here it would've benefited from leaning a little closer to Blood and further from integrity in its replication effort, but it is, however, an attractive map that's well worth some Bloodbath time and a remarkably fun feat of imitation. I definitely intend to try it out as it was meant to be experienced in the future. Now if only I could find my shock rifle...
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!