Blood Remaster Mapping

Discussion and queries about building worlds in Blood.
Crunatus
New Flesh

Blood Remaster Mapping

Post by Crunatus » Thu May 02, 2019 12:51 am

Will there be any remade Mapedit in the Nightdive's Blood? The Dosbox mapedit has got me frustrated at times, and Dosbox's uncanny ability to emulate even 90s pc glitches is an annoyance. What would it take for a new Mapeditor? Would you need the source code, or can I learn to program and develop my own Mapedit from Blood resources (and probably mapster32)?
-Crunatus; Alaeo!

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Re: Blood Remaster Mapping

Post by Daedalus » Thu May 02, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm not the expert on this, but my understanding is that Nightdive is currently not going to go through the trouble of recreating Mapedit for their port. Mapedit is quite a separate thing altogether, and rebuilding it in any fashion is a very arduous process and not worth the investment from Nightdive's standpoint.

There are some tools, I believe, which allow for converting maps from other applications to something loosely compatible with Mapedit. Again speaking under correction, since I'm a huge fan of Mapedit itself, but I think you can actually convert some physical structure from Mapster32 to Blood, but there will still be large parts of the maps, such as Blood's intricate trigger system, which will need to be applied "manually".

One thing to keep an eye on is NBlood. I believe that some strides are being made in that regard, and while it might be monumental undertaking that'll take a lot of time, they might one day crack things open to be a little bit more streamlined and simplified.

Until such time, you're stuck with the arcane beast that is Mapedit.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Fil
The Mad Scientist

Re: Blood Remaster Mapping

Post by Fil » Thu May 02, 2019 2:12 pm

It's a missed opportunity, because modding is what keeps games like these undead.