Death Wish Megathread

The sinister heart of custom campaign discussion.
Bloatoid
New Flesh

Death Wish Megathread

Post by Bloatoid » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:01 pm

dw-title.png
dw-title.png (27.14 KiB) Viewed 9738 times

Download here: Lastest version of Death Wish

For old updates and other files go to the ModDB Page
Speedy made an additional soundtrack to go along with DW (general MIDI)
Death Wish has a section on Blood Wiki

Caleb will need to muster all his strength to take down the mighty Tchernobog, who has managed to free himself from the grip of death and seeks to reclaim his demonic form. It's a race against time as Tchernobog, now free of his dimension-binding burdens, grows more powerful than ever before!

Death Wish is a 3-episode campaign I began making in 2010. It is meant to take place some time after the events of the original 5 episodes of Blood. It contains over 30 single-player levels, 3 Bloodbath levels, cutscenes, and full 8-player co-op capability with added co-op features such as checkpoints. Death Wish only uses the default assets provided by the base game for its levels. Version 1.0–1.3 were released in 2011. In 2017, v1.4 was released on Halloween, with v1.5 following 1 year later.

Some screenshots (v1.3):

dw-level-v13.jpg
dw-level-v13.jpg (518.74 KiB) Viewed 9738 times
slide14maps.gif
slide14maps.gif (99.76 KiB) Viewed 9738 times
slide15zoom.gif
slide15zoom.gif (151.55 KiB) Viewed 9738 times

Some screenshots (v1.5):

dw-level-v15.png
dw-level-v15.png (2.33 MiB) Viewed 9738 times

Death Wish currently updates sporadically to make adjustments based on streams and comments from emails, ModDB, Discord, 4Chan, Twitch, Youtube, etc. ... and now Altar of Stone! Post all your Death Wish thoughts, comments, questions, suggestions, or criticisms here!

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Re: Death Wish Megathread

Post by Dimebog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Quoted from the old thread:
Crunatus wrote:Death Wish being one of the most highly regarded Blood map-packs; to such an extent that it is considered the standard for all quality Blood fan creations to be as or better than it. It is 30 new levels, in three episode packs. (If you are a new mapper, like me, don't bust your balls living up this too soon, we'll eventually get there). Nonetheless, I loved this map-pack, and you may too. Mod Page

It is well done and adds references to new horror media. One map, a secret level in Episode 1, leads you to an amusement park, where you can explore the Disney house of horrors show. Yet, a lot of the maps aren't this gimmicky or real-life location based. A lot of them feel like a surreal hell plane. One map which took me some time, required the player to walk over invisible platforms above lava. With the only clue to do so, being a moving ball of light that went over the invisible platforms. Requiring the player to memorize its patterns to move across. Took a while to figure that out. And the area around the invisible walkway was beautifully burnt. Some maps are tremendously vast, taking a long well-worthwhile time to complete. One of the most impressive parts for me, is the custom made cutscenes. You oughta see them yourself to judge.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:35 pm

This addon is long overdue for a full review from me. I'll get to it eventually, there is just much to do before I have that chance.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

wangho
New Flesh

Post by wangho » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 pm

I can see new mapeditors being intimidated to shit by the screenshots from 2D mode mapedit, lol

Bloatoid
New Flesh

Post by Bloatoid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm currently working on an overhaul of DWE3M9: Nightmare.
• Removed some backtracking/spam
• Removed sector-counter puzzle (DWE3M6 already has this anyway)
• Inserted teleporters for quick travel
• Replaced 2nd invisible bridge with new segment
• Expanded on more recent sandy theme

Preview:

DWE3M9-preview-1.png
DWE3M9-preview-1.png (151.23 KiB) Viewed 9645 times

Here's a "vertigo" segment I added. You can see from Mapedit that the sectors tilt inward to exaggerate the perspective along with (manual, non-depth cued) shading that gets brighter as you approach the street.

DWE3M9-preview-2.png
DWE3M9-preview-2.png (177.96 KiB) Viewed 9645 times
DWE3M9-preview-3.png
DWE3M9-preview-3.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 9645 times

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:55 pm

I don't understand what's going on in that second shot but it looks crazy. Will be interesting to see what kind of effect it makes in motion, something like dolly zoom?

Bloatoid
New Flesh

Post by Bloatoid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 pm

You just fly toward the open sewer really fast. It's a very short segment that uses minimal sectors that I thought was more quick and fun than going in circles like the previous build. I freed up some walls by chopping up the background sectors a bit, so you can't see clear across the level anymore but it runs a lot better if you're using DOSBox.

Bloatoid
New Flesh

Post by Bloatoid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Death Wish for Blood version 1.6 coming in September!

This year Death Wish gets an early update so everyone doesn't have to wait until the end of October to play their favorite oldschool horror FPS!

Death Wish 1.6 includes upgrades, new areas to explore, and improved compatibility with Blood:FS/GDX/NBlood.

• Cutscenes compatible with Blood: Fresh Supply
• New areas + all v1.5 additions, including new super secrets
• Giant sectors/walls broken up (helps rendering/performance issues)
• Sprite rotation and positioning to account for new voxels in various ports

See below for some preview images.
Last edited by Bloatoid on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Bloatoid wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pmI can't seem to upload images right now so if you want some preview pix check out the Death Wish ModDB page.
Seems like it might be an issue with the site. I shall investigate shortly.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:43 pm

The issue has been resolved. You may proceed to add your images.

Bloatoid
New Flesh

Post by Bloatoid » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm

dw16preview-3.png
dw16preview-3.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 9409 times
New, spooky areas have been added. In some maps, like this secret level, there were enough free sectors/walls to add large sections.

dw16preview-4.png
dw16preview-4.png (825.5 KiB) Viewed 9409 times
Big sectors and walls have been broken up to address some performance issues and bugs that appear outside of DOS.

dw16preview-5.png
dw16preview-5.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 9409 times
One of the many visual upgrades. This section was pretty dark before and had a flat building-side across the background.

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 am

Nice, upgrades are always welcome.

Bloatoid
New Flesh

Post by Bloatoid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:24 pm

Death Wish version 1.6 is available!

Click here to get it off ModDB.

Once again I've gone back through all the levels and made edits and upgrades to improve things, but this year there's something even more exciting: a new level! This is the first one I've made completely from scratch in several years.

dw16preview-7.png
dw16preview-7.png (112.72 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
dw16preview-8.png
dw16preview-8.png (214.98 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
The new mission, They Mostly Come at Night, is the second secret level in the Scar Trek episode. Now each episode in Death Wish includes two total (not counting transition maps). Good luck finding it!

Death Wish 1.6 also includes upgrades, new areas to explore, and improved compatibility with Blood:FS/GDX/NBlood.
  • .OVG Cutscenes compatible with Blood: Fresh Supply.
    New areas + all v1.5.0 – 1.5.13 additions, including new super secrets
    Giant sectors/walls broken up (helps rendering/performance issues)
    Sprite rotation and positioning to account for new voxels in various ports
    Lots of new spooky areas :O
The walkthoughs for the levels, including the new one, have been updated along with the README file explaining installation for various programs/launchers. I also updated Speedy's Addon MIDI Sountrack so the .ini matches the new one for v1.6.0.

That's all for now. Have a happy Halloween with your favorite horror FPS Blood! :twisted:

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 am

Apperently a new episode is being made!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-f ... evelopment

MetHy
New Flesh

Post by MetHy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am

I played the new level "They Mostly Come at Night" recently and it was great as usual. I especially liked the ROR with the spaceship at the end, which really shows where Blood's ROR shines, as even if it's more limited than other kinds of ROR, its automation makes ROR like that spaceship cargo door easily possible where it would be hell in other games.

The upgrades to the old maps were really cool overall, but some of the extra detailing bothered me and in my opinion you should try not to add too much detailing for the sake of adding details. For instance the waterfall in e1m2 which realisticly has no place there (the river comes from above the trees?). Also I actually liked the mini-areas in e2m8 The Black Tower better in the older version; and on the subject of The Black Tower, why would you replace a natural connection to the rooftop with a teleporter? The older connection felt more natural and gave a greater sense of 3D.
But like I said, overall the changes were great.