Ports for retrogames

Off-topic discussion about anything in the universe and beyond which isn't Blood.
Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Ports for retrogames

Post by Lizzieborden » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:17 am

What do you guys use for ports of old games ?
Inquiring minds would like to know

I have been migrating older games from my uncle's '98 rig to a modern setup on my regular PC.
Aside from the Fresh Supply blunder (Atari will not even allow more patches, from what I hear), I'd say Nightdive has been quite good for the following ports :

Doom 64
Quake remaster ( I prefer quakespasmpiked, but the refurbished polygons of the ennemies i n the remaster are hard to resist).
System shock 2
These are the only ones I have tried so far from Nightdive.

For Shadow Warrior, I use GDX with voxels galore. I tried the "redux" version in Steam a coupla years back and it had no sprite shadows, and other issues
Duke 3d: eduke32 . I did buy the anniversary Tour thingie. 20 USD mistake. Sound is muffled and there is no cure. Cool new episode though
Redneck Rampage/ route 66/ rides again: GDX

There is a buncha other older games I have not yet tried to play (so I have no port ideas for now). There are at least 30 to 40 games on this old PC.
Would like to try No one Lives Forever. Any port ideas, anyone?
Dixit Lizzieborden

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Re: Ports for retrogames

Post by Dead Reckoner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:55 pm

For Blood, DN3D and Shadow Warrior: mostly GDX. NBlood for larger mapsets and multiplayer.

Doom: GZDoom. I prefer to turn freelook off for a more streamlined and classic experience except when playing newschool maps that call for it. Used to spend a lot of time in Skulltag and ZDaemon multiplayer ages ago.

For Quake, I mostly stuck to Quakespasm last time because of Arcane Dimensions. Remaster for the updated models and new "official" episodes.

Unfortunately, there's no ports for NOLF and I haven't had any success in getting modern solutions or abandonware repackages to work. Using the ancient rig to play it sounds like the best option.

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:47 pm

Dead Reckoner wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:55 pm Unfortunately, there's no ports for NOLF and I haven't had any success in getting modern solutions or abandonware repackages to work. Using the ancient rig to play it sounds like the best option.
Hey, thx for the NOLF advice. 98 retro rig it is, then. Pity, such a cool game ....perhaps Nightdive will step up.

Just gotta get another HD for the ole 98 rig (quantum 3.2 clicking, and I hear that in Hard disc drives, this is impending death)

About Quake: Yeah, agreed, quakespasm is the way to go for AD (played it a few months back. Still reeling! AD is to quake what Deathwish is to Blood)
Dimension of the machine/of the past expansion missions for Quake Remastered only work with Nightdive's port (for me at least). There is a way to add the new higher polygon models to a pak thingie that quakespasmspiked can handle. (got the info from a steam thread). But I tried it and it is buggy.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:39 pm

Just chiming in that I had a very positive experience with... hmm... what was it... VOIDSW for Shadow Warrior. I encountered very few issues, and reported those which I did discover to the relevant authorities.

The "Classic Redux" main menus and visuals for Shadow Warrior really injure my life essence.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Vantala
Still Kicking

Post by Vantala » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 am

About Quake: Yeah, agreed, quakespasm is the way to go for AD (played it a few months back. Still reeling! AD is to quake what Deathwish is to Blood)
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try...

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:21 am

Vantala wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 am
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try...
You won't regret it. It is massive. And glorious. "Tears of the False God " is hauntingly beautiful, and "Foggy Bobottom" will make you feel forlorn and a mere plaything of Evil forces.
ALL maps are good though .
Dixit Lizzieborden

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:26 am

Daedalus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:39 pm Just chiming in that I had a very positive experience with... hmm... what was it... VOIDSW for Shadow Warrior. I encountered very few issues, and reported those which I did discover to the relevant authorities.

The "Classic Redux" main menus and visuals for Shadow Warrior really injure my life essence.
I tried VOIDSW awhile back but the Katana gets cutt off if played in wide screen. I'll try a more recent version tonight.
I generally prefer to avoid GDX . Not sure why exactly. An instinct thing of mine I can't fathom
Dixit Lizzieborden

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:51 am

OK found a patch for the Katana issue. Voidsw is def accurate if my memory of SW gaming on the ole trusty win 98 rig is correct.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 am

https://disenchant.net/tyrquake/

^ a bit slim on features but the most accurate Quake port I tried.

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:47 am

^ a bit slim on features but the most accurate Quake port I tried.
Thx... I'll give it a spin for the retro feel .
i have no choice now. My 98 rig HD is now officially dead. Requiescat in pace.
(saved an image of it via Acronis a while back. Just need to find an old IDE drive )
Dixit Lizzieborden