The Grand Mapedit Assistance Compendium

Discussion and queries about building worlds in Blood.
RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Re: The Grand Mapedit Assistance Compendium

Post by RoosterMange » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:49 am

How can I make a chest voxel? I wanna add a few destructible chests around the storage car to fill up some space.
"A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me." -Pat The Bunny

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:05 am

Check out tile numbers 522 and 523.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:49 am

I managed to get a gibbable chest sprite that drops an item, but I could've sworn there were 3d chests in the game. Either way this room won't need much more before I move to the next one
"A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me." -Pat The Bunny

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:21 am

Those chests should be voxels. Are you not seeing them appear that way when playing?
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:45 pm

They appear as sprites for me, unless I need to actually play the level in game. In preview mode, though, it's just a gibbable sprite that drops a shotgun.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:04 pm

Okay, Mapedit doesn't have the advantage of "preview mode". Voxels aren't rendered in the editor and they appear as sprites instead. When you play the game they'll appear as voxels.

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 am

I've noticed some issues with my breakable sprites. The windows and certain other gib objects break as intended, but the glasses of wine, bottles, and even the recent chest voxel all are unbreakable in game despite being breakable in preview mode. It's also difficult to anticipate where the voxel will actually be since it only shows a sprite in the editor, so currently my chest is floating and I'll have to tweak it to make it look right in game.

Edit: With further testing I found out that these objects in question will break with explosions, but not from hitscan or pitchfork. How can I make these items sensitive to things like gunfire? I also got the chest where I want it, but I'm not sure if there's a more efficient way to do this in the future.
Side note: What do black chests do? They can be picked up in game but I haven't noticed them doing anything.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:30 am

Ensure that the objects are "gib objects" and not "explode objects". Also be sure to set them as hitscan sensitive with "H". This flags an object as being capable of being struck with weapons (and is likely to be your issue). You'll be able to tell that they're hitscan sensitive because they appear as pink/purple in the editor.

I can't comment on anything regarding "preview mode" as that is a luxury I haven't yet experienced. For comparing voxels and their sprite appearance in the editor, I run the game and iterate. I am also aware of the chest positioning being slightly offset in the latest version of NBlood, which is an inaccuracy in it.

There are a series of objects in Blood which serve as "reserved" pickup items, or which are vestigial remnants of items which were once planned for the game and no longer have functionality. The black chest is one such item. The reason you are collecting it is because it is defaulting to its "black chest data type" in the editor. You will need to override this by setting it to be a gib object, after which it will no longer be collectible.

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:07 am

Oh the black chests I mentioned are separate from the gibbable chest. The hitscan flag was what I was missing, I forgot to add that when making the sprites. Is there a way to make the black chest do anything when picked up? For example, could it give the player ammo or items?

Edit: Everything gibs now, but the chest doesn't show any gibs when it breaks, it just disappears. It still drops the shotgun as intended. It just looks rough when breaking.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:22 am

You can do almost anything you can imagine in Mapedit. In your example, what you could do is have a series of invisible sprites which occupy the same space as the chest, and which are destroyed when picking up the chest, with each of them having an item that they drop.
This of course includes the obvious disclaimer that no such behaviour exists in Blood and so you'd be going against structure which players are familiar with by introducing these "mechanics".

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:44 am

Is it possible to have invisible sprites which gib once the large chest is destroyed and the shotgun drops? I used a TX and RX id to link them but it doesn't seem to trigger no matter how I mess with the settings. The chest breaks but the invisible sprite stays intact.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:18 am

What are you trying to achieve? Having more items drop? Remember to set DATA1 and DATA2 numbers if you want gibs to appear when you break the chests, regarding your edited question above.

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:19 am

Since as I mentioned previously the voxel chest doesn't show gibs even though it has the proper settings, I wanted to link it to a sprite that will gib at the same time. The chest voxels only seem to play sound, they don't actually show the gibs like a sprite would.

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:45 am

Here is an example from the third map in the Sin Campaign which does exactly what you're busy doing. Please compare it to what you've got. This chest produces giblets correctly.
15.PNG
15.PNG (16.26 KiB) Viewed 556 times

RoosterMange
Still Kicking

Post by RoosterMange » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:38 pm

It looks like my settings are the same and the sprite itself gibs as expected in preview mode, but when I actually play the level in game the chest simply disappears and plays the sound without spawning the gibs. The shotgun is dropped, but without the flying pieces of wood it kinda just looks like the chest disappears and the shotgun suddenly spawns, breaking the immersion.