Blood: Behind The Scenes

Worship, strategy, screamshots, community discussion, fan art, and everything else.
Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Re: Blood: Behind The Scenes

Post by Dzierzan » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:41 am

Posted by Kevin Killstrom himself in Blood Discord server

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:03 pm

Skinny Zombie posted by Kevin Killstrom on Blood Discord server.

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:31 am

Pre alpha phantasm:

As seen here:

Although idle is missing. Other angles do not exist.

patho
Still Kicking

Post by patho » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:37 pm

I like the old zombie more :)
download my singleplayer blood maps The Angels' Melancholia and Pestilence

Spaghetti
New Flesh

Post by Spaghetti » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:32 am

Although not nearly as interesting as some of the other things here, a few years ago I was going pretty hard digging for any info on Blood's features/development when I noticed something on one of their ancient development blog entry for Update: 08/16/96 about Artwork pertaining to sequences for "the fly" with nothing more added aside from saying it would take advantage of their 3d sound system and it would be both annoying and humorous . From there I got Kevin Kilstrom's email and asked him about whatever became of the fly and what it exactly was.

Link to the blog post is below
https://web.archive.org/web/19961222184 ... d0896.html

and here's his responses, my name and emails omitted
Hi ,

If I remember correctly, the fly was going to be an atmospheric effect that showed off the new 3D sound that we had just implemented. When you got near a dead body the flies would buzz around your head. I think the feature was probably cut because there was just too much other stuff that had to get done.

Happy New Year!

Kevin

and also
Hey,

I think at one point Nick and I talked about a Brundle-Fly creature but decided against it. I never did mess around with any more stop-motion stuff. I've always loved stop-motion animation since I was a kid and I'm very grateful for the time and opportunity to do that stuff while working on Blood. But the technology for making games always changes so fast and by the time we started Blood 2 we were doing everything 3D in the computer. I still love sculpting in real life (as well as in the computer) and I love working with plastic and latex and foam. I'm working on a new mask now actually.
Here's a few pics of some of my latest projects - (just a few pics of his work on prop foam swords and a prop demon lady)

The spider and Tchernobog models are actually holding up pretty well for being close to twenty years old. I can't say the same for the gargoyle unfortunately. He's seriously falling apart.
Have a great weekend!

Kevin

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:33 pm

There is in fact art and audio for flies in the game - the best use cases being Spill's maps, but perhaps it would've ended up a slightly distracting or gimmicky feature had it been implemented anyway.

Thanks for the sharing the emails.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

zombie-football
Still Kicking

Post by zombie-football » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:23 pm

I have nothing to add to this thread but I want to say thanks for posting it. It was great to see the clay models used in producing the game. Making a 3d model and taking photos from different angles is a great way to get realistic rendering - makes sense when you thinks about it.