Blood: Fresh Supply by Nightdive Studios Released!

Worship, strategy, screamshots, community discussion, fan art, and everything else.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Re: Blood: Fresh Supply by Nightdive Studios Released!

Post by Daedalus » Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Allow me to clarify what I said above in case there's any confusion or my explanation was bad.

Fresh Supply contains the original Blood data as part of the package (but not executables).

This means that you can run NBlood, point it to Fresh Supply, and effectively run traditional Blood without worry for Fresh Supply's changes.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri May 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Some additional bugs I detected from quick tests. Again, this is nowhere near comprehensive and I'm just looking at bite-sized play sessions.

17) Spiders use incorrect audio files.
18) Phantasm projectiles aren't transparent.
19) Monster infighting is really cranked up - they fight each other with next to no provocation.
20) Burning enemies will cause infighting!
21) Certain jumping challenges are trivial where in Blood they'd be impossible or challenging.

There's even a video of a guy jumping and ducking and killing himself from losing health when hitting the floor! :lol:
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.

HenitoKisou
Still Kicking

Post by HenitoKisou » Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm

There is for sure, still some stuff that should be fixed, I have in particular colors messed up like many people reporting. As for that Fanatic it's intentional if I recall from his tweets, in original game not throwing them was deducted as error and they supposed to do so, people say turning vsync fixes it. New voxels (btw he used different method for it than original Blood implementation since engine differences) looks cool and smoother than classic Blood or even Shadow Warrior but I can live without them, one more obscure feature eating fps down. It includes Cryptic Passage but it's in Options -> Manage Addons. There is custom difficulty option after Extra Crispy to emulate difficulty bug as it's fixed or fit AI to your tastes. I wish you could disable soundfont and fluidsynth implementation and use OPL3 instead like in NBlood. Classic OUWB is provided as extras.

In conclusion, it has its premises and potential to be something better but so far it's good idea to wait for further patches after release, as there was pressure to get it done as quickly as possible and obviously dev didn't quite make it with everything given in time of release.
BFS.jpg
BFS.jpg (211.85 KiB) Viewed 10371 times

Krypto
New Flesh

Post by Krypto » Fri May 10, 2019 7:22 pm

mouth wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 amI'm still on the lookout for the USA big box release and Plasma Pak big box xD
Hey Mouth you glorious old bastard xD nice to see your still kicking.

I actually just need a boxed copy of Plasma Pak and One Unit Whole Blood to complete my collection. I have seen Plasma Pak twice in the wild, the first appearance was from a German Ebay collector, who was trying to sell new and sealed copies of old PC games but for 'Buy it Only' and asking for ludicrous prices around $300-400 dollars so they never sold and the second appearence was some American seller but the box quality was shit. I've never seen an auction for a complete copy of OUWB, but I did snag a sealed and mint jewel case from a Slovakian seller.

Well back to the topic at hand. I don't get it, it's a cruel joke and a ludicrous demonstration of incompetence. It's clear the development team had no idea what the fuck they were doing. The entire thing is a complete mess, which I gather not only from the reports mentioned but even a less then 30 second observation of gameplay footage from a video speaks volumes on how butchered this travesity is. This thing can't be saved from bug fixing, it needs scrapping entirely, to be removed from sale and put back in the oven for several months. I'd personally erase it and pretend it never existed, as it's doing more damage then it's worth. What is deeply alarming and upsetting is it has superseded the original OUWB on GOG and Steam which are no longer on sale, so this is causing damage to Blood's reputation as for the ignorant and newcomers, now this will be their experience and vision of the game, a broken and butchered total conversion at best. It all seems like a deceitful sleight of sabotage on Atari's behalf, let's resurrect the IP but for malignant purposes, create an abominable remaster and replace the original, desecrating it and slapping the original development team and their legacy in the face. This is very troubling indeed.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Daedalus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:20 pm No need to worry about Steam/GOG differences, since Fresh Supply contains all the original game's data.
It does mostly, but not the original cutscenes. Luckily, original OUWB version of the game can still be downloaded from the "Extras" section as can be seen in the picture posted above by HenitoKisou.

HenitoKisou
Still Kicking

Post by HenitoKisou » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Yeah, cutscenes seems to be in .ogv and there's option to play initial cinematics that didn't played in OUWB 1.21 but were ok in 1.20, so no demos playing in main menu.
game.jpg
game.jpg (116.92 KiB) Viewed 10343 times
movie.jpg
movie.jpg (186.98 KiB) Viewed 10343 times
cryptic.jpg
cryptic.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 10343 times

mouth
Still Kicking

Post by mouth » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Krypto wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:22 pm
mouth wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 amI'm still on the lookout for the USA big box release and Plasma Pak big box xD
Hey Mouth you glorious old bastard xD nice to see your still kicking.

I actually just need a boxed copy of Plasma Pak and One Unit Whole Blood to complete my collection. I have seen Plasma Pak twice in the wild, the first appearance was from a German Ebay collector, who was trying to sell new and sealed copies of old PC games but for 'Buy it Only' and asking for ludicrous prices around $300-400 dollars so they never sold and the second appearence was some American seller but the box quality was shit. I've never seen an auction for a complete copy of OUWB, but I did snag a sealed and mint jewel case from a Slovakian seller.
Still kicking my friend! In fact, getting married tomorrow! :lol:

I got in touch with that German collector about US release and possibly Plasma Pak a few months ago, and he'd be willing to part with them, for the right price. No doubt he means serious $$.

Krypto
New Flesh

Post by Krypto » Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Oh so the file structure isn't the same as the original and it's missing the demos :< How unfortunate, it looks like you can also still purchase it on Steam.
mouth wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 pm Still kicking my friend! In fact, getting married tomorrow! :lol:

I got in touch with that German collector about US release and possibly Plasma Pak a few months ago, and he'd be willing to part with them, for the right price. No doubt he means serious $$.
Ha congrats! Wow that greedy cunt is still around? I couldn't find his items and assumed he took them all down cause no one would purchase them xD

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Demos are of course excluded since they would never be able to run in the FS version given that every single mechanic has changed.

I hope Steam continues to sell the original game, but for how long I wonder.

@mouth: Congratulations!

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Fri May 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Bit off-topic, but wow, congratulations Mouth!

mouth
Still Kicking

Post by mouth » Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 am

Thanks everyone, sorry for the offtopic xD

mouth
Still Kicking

Post by mouth » Fri May 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Played FS a bit more. It's faster paced (I don't really mind that, k+m feels good too), AI is dumber for sure, weird behavior from enemies, bugs. It's definitely EASIER than the OG Blood due to dumber AI and faster pace. They started patching stuff so that's good, hope they continue.

Stone gargoyle animation was a neat addition IMO, they didn't really have to patch it out, it's not like their product resembles true Blood experience anyways, so why bother.

I don't hate it. I don't love it. I loved the early shareware versions of Blood. Those were buggy as hell. But I loved it. I don't love FS. Meh, I don't hate it either. Yet.

Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

3 months into the release, the creator of Fresh Supply has asked the audience to move on and play NBlood. This is probably the most honest thing anyone from ND has ever done:

move_on.png
move_on.png (16.48 KiB) Viewed 9795 times

I love the part about "taking lessons" from FS. That almost cracked me up.

So as many have predicted, they shit it out, got the money and pulled out. There was also a jab about it being impossible to "please purists" along the way too. I wonder if it's puritanism to blame or sheer incompetence.

In the aftermath, the real victim is Kaiser, who's contributions are "probably not welcomed". It's not the future generations of players who will be straight robbed from the experience of playing BLOOD. The preservation of old games is tricky enough without having companies actively working to destroy and erase them from history.

But guess what - BLOOD has survived worse.

Rest in peace, Fresh Supply.

Pest
New Flesh

Post by Pest » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 am

rest in piss*

Daedolon
VIP

Post by Daedolon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 am

mouth wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 pmStill kicking my friend! In fact, getting married tomorrow! :lol:
Congratulations, man!
Dimebog wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pmIn the aftermath, the real victim is Kaiser, who's contributions are "probably not welcomed".
I don't know where he got that from, any legitimate contributions are welcome to any of the EDuke32-based ports.
---