The Fate of the Damned Awaits You

The sinister heart of custom campaign discussion.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

The Fate of the Damned Awaits You

Post by Daedalus » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:55 pm

Update: Fate of the Damned v1.1 released! Download here!

Greetings, bloodites.

The time has come to emerge from the shadows and declare my intent. I have spent many aeons in secrecy with dark plots, and on this special day I have chosen to reveal my most recent creation to you.

Fate of the Damned is a meticulously crafted custom campaign for BLOOD which aims to speculate and explore another shadowed path that Caleb might've undertaken. While taking care to never stray far from the gameplay formula that made BLOOD so gripping, the campaign will see Caleb journey through new environments that he has not seen before. Gruesome new discoveries await as he tears through hordes of the undead and nothing is left unscathed in his quest for vengeance.

The next phase of the project will see the release of Fate of the Damned Episode 2: The Shadow Out of Time, which includes 9 brand new maps, bringing the total offered by the campaign to 18.

Keep your eyes peeled and stay fresh. Grim revelations await... soon.

Here is but a small taste in the form of some screamshots (in NBlood for high resolution), with more to come as time passes. I have placed them within spoiler tags for those special few who want to go in completely blind:
Spoiler!
FATM01.png
FATM01.png (799.51 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
FATM02.png
FATM02.png (577.96 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
FATM03.png
FATM03.png (484.77 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
FATM04.png
FATM04.png (372.99 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Need a hint? Spill some on the Altar of Stone!

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Re: The Fate of the Damned Awaits You

Post by Lizzieborden » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:59 pm

Sooo...THIS is what ya been up to, you sly devil, you.

The Gods are pleased.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:08 pm

That first pic (FATM01) oozes atmosphere. Fading daylight rays leaving lingering shadows on decrepit walls.
Will the episode have music from the original tracks or Midi?
pray, tell.
Dixit Lizzieborden

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:12 pm

Hail!

Music is included as an optional choice for the player. There will be quite a few custom MIDI tracks included, but of course those of different tastes can stick to classic CD music or proceed without music altogether.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.

patho
Still Kicking

Post by patho » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:51 pm

Perfect timing. My hemoglobin is low so I need some more blood.
I am very excited about it.
download my singleplayer blood maps The Angels' Melancholia and Pestilence

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 pm

Given it has been so long since I formally released maps for Blood that an entire generation of fresh victims has been able to be raised within the time, it is prudent to offer some insight for the uninitiated onlooker.

In ages long past, before Blood had many of the exciting innovations which have since emerged, I set forth to create a campaign which would defy the prevalent trend at the time whereby incomplete projects were released with alarming frequency for Blood. In a twist of fate, I was seemingly not immune to such trends, and the project, then called Rage Against the Machine for a handful of reasons, one being that it was meant to topple the trend, did not succeed in as much that it failed to fulfill the promise of its name. I am proud to say, however, that it was largely held in high regard, but as with all things, eventually became submerged in the sands of time.

Now, a little over fifteen years later, and with myself working in secret for many of them, we are on the verge of seeing the second episode of the campaign finally release. Appropriately named The Shadow Out of Time, the second episode will mark the resurrection of this creation, now Fate of the Damned, and it will provide an all new, glorious experience for purveyors of Blood.

What awaits you, soon, is nothing less than a carefully crafted love letter to Blood made over the course of years. I have set out with intent to create a largely unforgettable experience to honour Blood's spirit, and while the campaign, certainly in moments yet to be revealed, will venture to strange domains and estates not seen in the original Blood, I attempt to keep everything bound by the game's fragile essence and to do things right by Blood's strict gameplay formula while pushing the boundaries respectfully in places.

If you are looking for a fantastic Blood adventure with an express intent to honour the game's spirit doused with an unhealthy amount of attention to detail: watch this space.

---

Some might be wondering what this means for Rage Against the Machine. As the video above suggests, I am entirely rebranding it. While I think the old name certainly still succeeds in standing out, a fresh coat of paint is a good idea to mark its return to the spotlight. As discussed above, from a certain point of view it failed to live up to one aspect of its name, and I feel that the new title is better tonally for the story of the campaign, which of course has yet to be revealed in full.

The new release will include the original episode 1 and its cutscenes, but the cutscenes have been heavily improved. The maps for episode 1 have been tweaked quite a bit in subtle ways, though they are still largely similar structurally to how they were in v1.0. When released, the project will include a readme file documenting all the major changes for episode 1's maps for the rare people who read such things. I strongly advise that anyone looking to play or re-play episode 1 rather wait for Fate of the Damned v1.1, as it will be a much smoother and more pleasant experience.

---

Here is a list of the features that you will soon be able to immerse yourself in, which I've taken from Mod DB:
Mod DB wrote:The version 1.1 release will contain the following features:
  • 2 episodes consisting of 18 maps total, which fully support Single Player, Co-operative, Bloodbath and Capture the Flag across all difficulty settings.
  • A series of exhilarating, all new, low resolution cutscenes which tell the campaign's story.
  • Lots of new, chilling music as an optional extra.
  • A splash of custom art that is used sparingly.
  • A large amount of fiendish secrets waiting to be discovered.
  • Challenging and occasionally downright unfair encounters with BLOOD's monsters, unsuitable for those whose faith is weak.
  • Support for the NBlood and BloodGDX ports - to a point.
---

Finally, in closing, here are but a few more modest screamshots to gaze at, again marked as spoilers for those who wish to go in completely blind:
Spoiler!
FATM05.png
FATM05.png (883.84 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
FATM06.png
FATM06.png (594.4 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
FATM07.png
FATM07.png (690.86 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
FATM08.png
FATM08.png (328.39 KiB) Viewed 5874 times

Dead Reckoner
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dead Reckoner » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:54 pm

RATM set a high bar during a time when quality custom Blood maps were few and far between. Can't wait to finally see where the next part takes Blood after all these years.

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:07 pm

I think that either I never played RATM or maybe I played it very briefly.

The pictures shown on Moddb website look a bit bland and empty to be honest. I hope it's not foreshadowing of mediocre quality.

Unless you wanna astonish people with actually good quality. Addons like Eviction or Death Wish certainly spoiled me :-).

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 pm

I would suggest that you hold off playing it until the upcoming release, as it'll make for a more polished experience.

Dzierzan
Pink on the Inside

Post by Dzierzan » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 pm

I have a request. Some folks like playing Blood with voxel pack. Can you make sure that potition of sprites, thus voxels always makes sense? When you load voxel pack with a custom map, usually you see default position for models which doesn't look nice.

It's just a suggestion, you don't have to do it.

Lizzieborden
Pink on the Inside

Post by Lizzieborden » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:05 am

Dzierzan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 pm I have a request. Some folks like playing Blood with voxel pack. Can you make sure that potition of sprites, thus voxels always makes sense? When you load voxel pack with a custom map, usually you see default position for models which doesn't look nice.

It's just a suggestion, you don't have to do it.
I am one of those folks. Voxels are my everything. I eat em for breakfast. I snort em. I dream of em. Please heed this our humble request, O dreaming one
Dixit Lizzie
Dixit Lizzieborden

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:01 pm

You have been exceedingly patient. It is now only a matter of days until release. You'll know what to do when the time comes.

Soben
Still Kicking

Post by Soben » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:30 am

Excitiiiiing! :3 :scarab:

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:34 pm

Fate of the Damned v1.1 LIVES!

Behold! My long silence is broken, and I am here to deliver unto you an experience unlike any other. Fate of the Damned v1.1 is prepared and ready for release.

Fate of the Damned v1.1 includes 18 wickedly detailed single player maps crafted with an eye on upholding BLOOD's amazing gameplay formula. The campaign is crafted for One Unit: WHOLE BLOOD v1.21 and supports NBlood and BloodGDX!

Set aside time, dim those lights and submerge yourself in this delightfully evil offering. Fresh BLOOD episodes don't come along frequently.

Kneel, extract the files into the directory of your choosing and let the BloodBath begin! As of this day, October 31st, 2023, Fate of the Damned v1.1 is LIVE!

Step right up, step right up!

Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:53 pm

What follows are a list of general installation instructions for Fate of the Damned's installation. These are available in more detail in the accompanying readme file.
Spoiler!
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Note that Fate of the Damned is not supported by BLOOD: Fresh Supply.

NBLOOD:
  1. Extract the FATE folder from the zip file.
  2. Place the FATE folder as-is in your BLOOD directory.
  3. Launch NBlood using nblood.exe.
  4. In the "Game" list shown, select BLOOD: One Unit Whole Blood - BLOOD.ini
  5. The dropdown beneath the list reads "Custom game content directory". Open this dropdown and select FATE.
  6. Click "Start" to begin.
BLOODGDX/BUILDGDX:
  3. Launch BuildGDX using BuildGDX.exe.
  4. Select "Play Blood".
  5. On the game's main menu, select "New Game".
  6. On the list that appears, select "<User Content>".
  7. On the "Directories" list to the left, select "FATE".
  8. Once FATE is opened, select "BLOOD.INI" from the list on the right.
DOSBOX:
  3. Copy/move FATEINST.BAT, FATEINST.CONF, FATEINST.LNK (the shortcut), FATE.CONF and FATEUNST.CONF into the BLOOD directory.
  4. Modify the "Target" and "Start In" properties of the FATEINST shortcut to point to the desired installation folder. By default, the shortcut points to GOG's default installation location, which seems to vary based on different releases GOG has performed. Be sure not to replace the DOSBox command line parameters.
  5. Run the FATEINST shortcut. This will execute a little installation tool.
  6. Follow the steps in the tool.
  7. Modify both the FATE.LNK and FATEUNST.LNK (shortcuts) as done before with FATEINST.LNK to point to the desired installation folder. These can be used to run Fate of the Damned and uninstall it, respectively.
  8. Run the FATE shortcut to play Fate of the Damned.